1875 – Surrey Justices plan a new Asylum to alleviate overcrowding at Surrey’s two existing Lunatic Asylums, which were Springfield in Tooting, and Brookwood near Woking.
1883 – Cane Hill opens as the Third Surrey Pauper Lunatic Asylum
1888 – Cane Hill’s planned rear extensions are completed, taking capacity to 2,300
1889 – Cane Hill becomes under the control of the newly formed London County Council created under The Local Government Act 1888, and becomes known as Cane Hill Asylum.
1915 – The First Superintendent, Sir James Moody, dies aged 62. He is buried at Cane Hill.
1919 – Dr Samuel Elgee becomes Medical Superintendent.
1930 – Cane Hill is renamed ‘Cane Hill Mental Hospital’ as a result of the Mental Health Act 1930
1931 – Dr George Lilly is appointed as Medical Superintendent, after Samuel Elgee’s retirement as a result of continued ill health.
1948 – Cane Hill joins the newly established NHS
1949 – Alexander Walk appointed as Medical Superintendent, with Dr George Lilly leaving to become commissioner of the board of control.
1954 – Cane Hill’s population peaks at 2,400
1959 – Cane Hill becomes known as Cane Hill Hospital, in response to the 1959 Mental Health Act requirement that psychiatric hospitals cease to have the word ‘mental’ in their name.
1961 – Health Minister Enoch Powell calls for the gradual closure of the Asylums in his famous water tower speech.
1962 – Alexander Walk retires
1974 – The Hospital comes under the control of the Bromley Health Authority, although it continues to also receive patients from Camberwell and Lewisham.
1963 – Cane Hill’s population decreases to 1600 following the closure of wards at the rear of the site.
1985 – New long-stay admissions from Camberwell cease at Cane Hill. These are instead sent to the Maudsley or St Francis’ Hospital.
1987 – SASS Unit opens (Secure Unit)
1992 – Cane Hill closes, with the exception of the SASS unit
2001-2 Various arson attacks destroy the Main Hall and C and V blocks. Security is improved with a £2m fence.
2008 – SASS Unit closes. Demolition of buildings commences in July
2016 – Barrett Homes commence development of 675 homes on the site.